Sunday, July 8, 2012

I am running again full time and it feels great! It was great to cycle a bit while my leg was healing, but I am truly a runner at heart, so it is a relief to be able to do what i love again, and all for a good cause!
We have had a busy past few days, On Friday night we were hanging out at a local park and a guy came up to me after seeing the rv and introduced himself as Mike Samuelson, instantly I recognized the name, he is running across America this summer on trails and I had looked into joining him and his route originally, but in the end my dates didnt quite match up with his.
Turns out our routes are the same as we run through Nebraska. Jennifer Bradley is a female runner from Britain, and she is running with Mike also, when she finishes in Delaware she will be the first British woman to run across America!
So yesterday morning I caught up with them and finished 20 miles with them, and this morning we started out early and I did 42 miles with them as well. It is great to have the company and someone to talk to as I run besides the voices in my head!
It was also a blessing for Donna, this morning she was able to take her time getting the kids ready and do some errands, while Mike's group offered to Crew for me for awhile.
This has really taken its toll on Donna, she has done a fantastic job of keeping me hydrated and fed, and doing my laundry and making sure all my gear is stocked and ready, she also contacts media, and is still sending out dozens of letters and emails for support, all the while taking care of 4 kids! I'm not sure how she does it, but she is doing an amazing job, and I am so thankful for her patience and help through this crazy adventure!
Tonight we were at a local park here in Valentine NE, and the kids were playing with a boy, and his mother walked over to us to ask about the rv and what we were doing, Her name is Rosie and her husband is in Afghanistan with the National Gaurd, we had a great talk and really enjoyed meeting her family, she even fed us Cupcakes and ice cream which was a fantastic way to end a 42 mile day!
She also gave us $25 towards our fundraising, and Donna and I were just blown away by her generousity and kindness. Meeting wonderful people along the way like Rosie and her family really goes a long way to boost our confidence, The saying "a little goes a long way" could not be more true. People have said to me, "I can only give $5" or "I would like to do more". But even the smallest donations, or the few words of encouragment spoken, puts us on cloud 9! We are so thankful for the generousity of strangers, and truly this journey would not be possible without $5 here, or $10 there.
Well 5:45 comes early so I am heading to bed, Don't forget to spread the word!

1 comment:

  1. That's fantastic that you have some people to run with! I am sure Donna is enjoying the small break, I don't know how she does everything she does! You all are in my thoughts and prayers daily, I am looking forward to seeing you in August!

    ReplyDelete